PDA

View Full Version : Chris Bell - I Am The Cosmos (Expanded Edition) (19922017)

BoomBoom
10-24-2017, 08:52 AM
http://www.hostpic.org/images/1710221704550107.jpg
MP3 CBR 320 kbps | 02:12:13 | 303 Mb
Rock, Jangle Pop, Powerpop | Label: Omnivore Recordings

I Am the Cosmos is the only solo album by the American pop-rock musician Chris Bell, eventually released in 1992 by Rykodisc, having been recorded over a period of two to three years during the mid-1970s. Bell had previously been a member of Big Star. Omnivore's Looking Forward: The Roots of Big Star Featuring Chris Bell was the first of several planned releases from the Grammy Award-winning label showcasing the talents of Big Star co-founder Bell, who passed away in 1978. The label recently announced their next two Bell projects: a new expanded edition of the quintessential Bell collection I Am The Cosmos, and a definitive archive of his work as a 6LP box set.

Big Star's ascendance to America's best loved, most under appreciated rock band reaches its zenith with Omnivore's authoritative reissue of the CHRIS BELL retrospective, I Am the Cosmos. Once again presented as an exhaustive 2CD compilation of the man's life's work, this version of Cosmos is a more focused affair than Rhino Handmade's 2009 version or the original 1992 Rykodisc (single CD) release. I'll admit: At first I thought it was going to be too much. After all, there are four versions of the title track included, and multiple versions of some of the other tunes. On paper it sounded like more than even this fan would want. I was wrong.

I won't go into the whole Big Star story here, except to say that Chris Bell left the band after their debut, the critically acclaimed, consumer-ignored #1 Record (1972). After that, only one 45 of his own material ("I Am the Cosmos" b/w "You and Your Sister," both included) was released in Bell's lifetime. Yet this ample release shows that - despite the numerous versions of songs - he had a lot more in him. His harder rocking side is represented by "I Got Kinda Lost" and "Make a Scene," his softer side by "You and Your Sister," and the spiritual by "Look Up." Then there are the yearning, burning tracks like "Cosmos" and "Better Save Yourself," the winning pair that opens all versions of this compilation. Hard edged guitars anchor some tunes while strummed acoustics steal the scene in others; you even get funky Moog synthesizer (I believe) in the rollicking "Fight at the Table." Bell's talents were many and they're all on display here. It's hard for the Paul McCartney fan in me to not draw a parallel between Macca and Bell's early '70s smorgasbord of styles - and that, as you may know, is a high compliment in these quarters.

Omnivore Recordings has been on a Big Star bender for some time now, what with numerous band releases (including Complete Third, the comprehensive look at the band's final album), Alex Chilton refreshers (I particularly like, but never reviewed, Free Again: The "1970" Sessions) and Chris Bell's Looking Forward: The Roots of Big Star. It's clear from the liner notes in these various releases that label head Cheryl Pawelski and her crew will not rest until they have covered every angle of the Big Star story, and for that I'm grateful. Many lesser bands' stories have been examined with an even larger microscope, so there's definitely room in the world for just about anything Big Star related. Certainly some will think it's all too much, and that's okay. The rest of us can happily discover more of what Chris Bell, Alex Chilton and Big Star wrought during their musical careers by letting Omnivore lead the way.

I Am the Cosmos is released 9/15/17 as a 2CD set, as well as a single LP on clear vinyl (initially, and with download code for the rest of the material), and digital download.

Tracklist:
Disc 1
1 I Am The Cosmos (Original Single Version)
2 Better Save Yourself
3 Speed of Sound
4 Get Away
5 You and Your Sister (Original Single Version)
6 I Kinda Got Lost
7 Look Up
8 Make a Scene
9 There Was a Light
10 I Don't Know
11 Fight At the Table
12 Though I Know She Lies
13 I Am The Cosmos (Acoustic Mix) *
14 You and Your Sister (Acoustic Version)
15 Look Up (Acoustic Movie Mix) *
16 Untitled Acoustic Instrumental (Movie Mix)

Disc 2
1 I Am The Cosmos (Extended Alternate Version)
2 Better Save Yourself (Alternate Mix)
3 Speed of Sound (Alternate Version)
4 Get Away (Alternate Version)
5 You and Your Sister (Alternate Version)
6 Make a Scene (Alternate Mix)
7 Fight At the Table (Alternate Mix)
8 I Don't Know (Alternate Version)
9 Speed of Sound (Alternate Version Backing Track) *
10 Stay with Me (with Keith Sykes)
11 In My Darkest Hour (with Nancy Bryan)
12 So Long Baby (a.k.a. Clacton Rag)
13 Fight At the Table (Outtake with Partial Vocal) *
14 You and Your Sister ("Country" Underdub Mix)
15 Get Away (Outtake Track) *
16 Better Save Yourself (Outtake Track) *
17 I Am The Cosmos (Alternate Backing Track with Piano) *
18 Untitled Electric Instrumental (Movie Mix) *
19 Though I Know She Lies (Movie Mix) *

Disc 1, Tracks 1 and 5 released as Car Records single CRR6, 1978
Disc 1, Tracks 1-12 and 14 and Disc 2, Track 14 released as I Am The Cosmos - Rykodisc RCD-10222, 1992
Disc 1, Track 16 released on "Jesus Christ" 10″ EP - Omnivore OVS10-153, 2015
Disc 2, Tracks 1-8 and 10-12 released on I Am The Cosmos: Deluxe Edition - Rhino Handmade RHM2 521305, 2009
* Previously unreleased
DOWNLOAD

http://nitroflare.com/view/DBD8399B6CB1730/1fpcb.Chris.Bell..I.Am.The.Cosmos.Expanded.Edition .19922017.rar

http://rapidgator.net/file/edeff9bd55869762d77e01bf9a0578f9/1fpcb.Chris.Bell..I.Am.The.Cosmos.Expanded.Edition .19922017.rar.html

http://turbobit.net/k1ldzgz8j3nm/1fpcb.Chris.Bell..I.Am.The.Cosmos.Expanded.Edition .19922017.rar.html