English | 2020 | ISBN: 1952419123 | 336 pages | EPUB | 0.39 MB

Managing to be both heart-wrenching and hopeful, Masuga probes the very depths of what it means to be a survivor, an artist, and ultimately human.
-Jillian Lauren, bestselling author of Some Girls: My Life in a Harem
The Blue of Night is a fascinating fusion of European modernist novel and American story of survival. Masuga's pedigree as a modernist scholar gives her fiction a beautiful intellectual heft, as well as a feeling of intimacy with the bohemian artists she looks to for lessons. The Blue of Night is a testament to the possibility of healing through art.
-Keri Walsh, editor of The Letters of Sylvia Beach and Joyce's Dubliners
Floating between the shadows of the Eiffel Tower and the rundown shanties of the American west, Katy Masuga takes us on a gutting ride of love and loss, crafting a new vocabulary for the inescapable bonds of kinship and the wounds that make us. The Blue of Night is told with the straightforward ache of a mountain ballad, leavened with the modernist time of Faulkner and Proust. I awoke from the book devastated but clear, lit with courage and hunger, brain tickled, ready to race until my lungs burned.
-Lauren Du Graf, award-winning arts critic
I doubt there's a woman on earth who doesn't understand or hasn't felt the obsessive, nervous love which is at the heart of Katy Masuga's wonderful novel, The Blue of Night. But while the central love story might be universal, Masuga's depictions of her heroine and her many siblings near feral existence in America's West is beyond imagining. There is true wisdom in this book about the high cost of attempting to break the constraints about one's past if, in the end, you lose sight of your present-day worth.-Bex Brian, author of Promiscuous Unbound
Katy Masuga's The Blue of Night weaves a mighty tale, a novel with a memoir body. Masuga writes with a strong and lyrical voice, planting the characters in their hard lives. These lives come to life, in all their color and variety. Masuga's language and style, full of contrasts and oppositions, capture the sadness, the uncertainty of the characters. From the incredible closeness and loyalty of children to a damaged mother who was barely a mother, to strained personal lives and difficult choices, the multi-layered storylines crisscrossing from Europe to deep America form a finely crafted work.
-Constance Borde and Sheila Malovany-Chevallier, translators of The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir
DOWNLOAD